Tips on How to Choose the Best Bulkhead Basement Entry Door
There are different factors to consider when choosing the best bulkhead basement entry door for your home. The basement is not the usual favourite part of the house. Nonetheless, it is still important especially for those who use it as a shelter during extreme weather conditions like hurricanes or tornadoes.
The basement entry door does not only serve as the entrance to the basement. It protects and seals it from thieves, moisture and external elements. It's important that the best basement door should be chosen in order to serve its purpose. Most people would consider its aesthetic appearance while some would focus on making it convenient enough to use. Either ways, the basement entry door should be sturdy, reliable and would last for a very long time.
When choosing or installing a new bulkhead basement entry door, take note of these following tips:
Take note of these tips when choosing or installing a bulkhead basement door. Keep in mind that if you are not sure on how to do it yourself, then it is advisable to seek professional help. They will be able to ensure proper installation of the door. That will ensure you and your family that your bulkhead basement entry door is sturdy, reliable and will aesthetically blend into your home.
- Before constructing the basement or the exterior part of your home, make sure you have already chosen the basement exterior door type. This way, you choices will not be limited. You or your contractors can adjust the hole that they need to dig or make when installing your preferred door.
- Choose the most convenient and practical basement entry door that will suit your purpose. If the basement has extending foundation or concrete, you can just opt to put a bulkhead door on top of it. That would make it easier and more convenient. If it's flat, then a bulkhead basement door with built up sides is highly recommended. It is best to work with what you have in order to make a strong and convenient foundation for the basement door.
- When choosing a bulkhead basement door, choose the one that is made of steel. It is a strong rust-proof concrete that can last for a very long time.
- Before investing in any bulkhead basement entry door, make sure that it fits the entrance accurately. This is important because if it doesn't fit, leaks will be apparent and will cause damage to your furniture.
- Keep the basement entry door safe from thieves and unwanted visitors. Make sure that it can be strongly locked to avoid break-ins inside your home.
- The physical appearance of the basement door is important to some homeowners. So take note to match the color of the door to the exterior painting of the house. If the preset color of the bulkhead door is not to your liking, choose one that can be painted.
- In order to be free from accidents, make sure that the door will lock into place when opening it. It should not fall down when somebody is entering it. This will avoid any unwanted accidents.